Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Soul Eater - Review


The story is quite simple, really. It's just your typical shounen anime but what makes this anime interesting is its quite unique animation and weird characters that could spice up the comedy a lot for this show. Let's go over them, one by one.

It was kind of a tearful, (typical) happy (typical) ending. Nothing particularly anything to mention about its story except it basically strayed out of the manga at around its 38th-40th episode. I was rather underestimating it with the expectation of having a much more open ending (because of the past few anime that I've watched such as Tantei Gakuen Q and 07-Ghost).

Well, anyway, looking back at it right now, the story is kind of messed up. While that isn't really noticeable compared to its characters and animation, it really is sad to say that the character-improvement really stopped except for Crona, the messed up guy/girl/thing with his/her/its sad way of growing in his life. Well, I don't particularly would really care about that thing anymore, seeing as that they put up a wide range of characters that you could easily picked out your likes and dislikes.

Before I watched this anime, I had doubts every time I see the picture in ANN. It had a unique animation, an animation that I've never seen before and still, it isn't disappointing but I felt that something would be "off" when I watched it. But when I convinced myself to watch it since it's become a hype in a certain place, I really liked the first episode and kind of engaged me in watching the anime (although the three episode-prologue wasn't my type so I kind of hate it in a way).

It isn't basically just the animation, the character, etc. that made me love this anime; it's also about the music they put up! The first OP, "resonance" by T.M.Revolution, gives a really mysterious feeling, a clock ticking fast. It kind of pumps your adrenaline up! When it becomes a music that isn't fitting for the episode, it kind of "drags" out and (feels or) becomes dull. But when it needed a change, it went up for the second OP, "PAPERMOON" by Tommy heavenly6. The second OP had that typical but not-so-typical-these-days music. The part that makes it typical is that it gives you that sad, sorrow feeling + the feeling that the ending is really approaching fast. It gives you a thumbs up to the anime no matter how bad it may seem.

The first ED, "I Wanna Be" by STANCE PUNKS, wasn't particularly my taste, probably because it had that screaming "effect." Although it's nice for an ED, it just... doesn't feel right for me. But at least the second ED, "Style" by Kana Nishino, really pays up for the "fk-you-ED" feeling. Though the second ED doesn't really stand out until the middle of the song. (Well, it's normally like that but I'd prefer if the opening of the ED was a bit more lively but whatever, it's still great!) Third ED, "Bakusou Yumeuta" by Diggy-MO', still doesn't surpass the greatness of "Style" and still, the reason is probably of the screaming-like opening. Nothing much to say except it's also "fun."

And now, the final ED, "STRENGTH" by abingdon boys school. For an abindon boys school song, it's great. For the final ED, it was really sugoi! It goes well with the second ED, and basically same comments on the second ED. I don't really know the lyrics but it still feels nice for some reason.

STRENGTH >> Style >> Bakusou Yumeuta >> I Wanna Be — As you can see, I don't really like "I Wanna Be" of all the EDs which makes me say that the ending of the anime made it worse than its cheesy-like ending.



Story: 7/10 - Fine ending; feels really dragging.

Animation: 10/10 - It's kind of nice to see a different animation once in a while. What's more is that it's nice for them to point out the right expression.

Music: 8/10 - I blame the songs with screaming. Fav: 2nd OP, 4th ED

Character: 7/10 - It would have been nice if they had a good development but I can understand that because this show drags it out to increase the airing time.

Enjoyment: 9/10 - I fairly did have fun. Although I am really bad at reviewing comedy anime or anime with comedy as the element, for me, it's still great!



Please leave a comment if you have any corrections on my review or opinions.
blog comments powered by Disqus